The college has a general body of the regular students known as the Lumding College Students’ Union. Its membership is compulsory for every regular student of the college. The Union endeavours to foster and promote fraternity, mutual understanding and sense of responsibility among the students. It organizes various festivals such as Freshers’ Social, Viswakarma Puja, Saraswati Puja and Annual College Festival.The election to the executive council of the students’ union of the college is held annually through the democratic process of secret ballots. The constitution of the students’ Union, the recommendations of Mr. J.M. Lyngdoh Commission and the directions and guidelines of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India thereon will be strictly followed in conducting the said election. The relevant part of the recommendations of Mr. J.M. Lyngdoh commission is given below for knowledge of the students.
Eliqibility Criteria for Candidates to contest election to the students’ union.
1) Undergraduate students between the ages of 17 and 22 may contest elections. This age range may be appropriately relaxed in the case of professional colleges, where courses often range between 4 to 5 years.
2) Although the Committee would refrain from prescribing any particular minimum marks to be attained by candidate, the candidate should in no event have any academic arrears in the year of contesting the election.
3) The candidate should have attained the minimum percentage of attendance as prescribed by the University or 75% attendance, whichever is higher.
4) The candidate shall not have a previous criminal record, that is to say, he should not have been tried and or convicted of any criminal offence or misdemeanor. The candidate shall also not have been subject to any disciplinary action by the University / College authorities.
5) The candidate must be a regular, full time student of the College/University and should not be a distance / proximate education student. That is to say that all eligible candidates must be enrolled in a full time course, the course duration being at least 1 year.